Affiliated Research Centers at UCSB
- California NanoSystems Institute
- Center for Multifunctional Materials and Structures
- Center for Stem Cell Biology and Engineering
- Dow Materials Institute
- Institute for Collaborative Biotechnologies
- Institute for Energy Efficiency
- Materials Research Laboratory
- Mitsubishi Chemical Center for Advanced Materials
- NSF BioPACIFIC Materials Innovation Platform
- Solid State Lighting and Energy Electronics Center
- UC Santa Barbara NSF Quantum Foundry
UC Santa Barbara is globally recognized as a leader in Materials research. The Materials Department is home to world-renowned researchers in the following areas.
A Highly Collaborative Environment
The Materials Department prides itself on sustaining a highly collaborative and interdisciplinary research environment. Most of the faculty have joint appointments with other departments in the College of Engineering, including Mechanical Engineering, Chemical Engineering, and Electrical and Computer Engineering, or the College of Letters and Science including Chemistry, Physics, and the intercollege Biomolecular Science and Engineering Program. Researchers working in our major areas of research have the opportunity of interacting not only with the Departmental faculty and students, but also with a broader community of faculty and their groups doing materials-related research at UCSB. These interactions are fostered by the numerous materials-related research centers at UCSB.