Costs & Financial Support

Graduate Fees & Costs

Financial Support

The following is information about graduate student fellowships, research positions, teaching assistantships, financial aid, tuition and fees, and cost of housing.


University fellowships are also available and awarded on a competitive basis, and are usually supplemented by the Department with a partial teaching or GSR appointment. Students are also encouraged to apply for extramural fellowships including the National Science Foundation Graduate Research Fellowship, the National Defense Science and Engineering Graduate Fellowship, and the National Physical Science Consortium Fellowship. 


Students admitted to the Materials Department are appointed as Graduate Student Researchers (GSR) and are generally supported by funds from research grants and contracts obtained by Department faculty. The research performed is guided by the student's advisor(s) and generally becomes the student's dissertation. Currently, the GSR appointments include an annual stipend of $30,301.61 plus payment of registration, tuition, and health insurance fees. This support is sufficient to cover typical student living expenses plus cost of books. Graduate Student Researchers are employed and are paid monthly. 


Teaching Assistants are employed and are paid monthly.  This employment includes health insurance and nonresident tuition (if applicable). Ph.D. students are required to TA at least one quarter while in residence at UCSB (usually during the first or second year). Assignments are made by the Department.

Need-based Financial Aid

Need-based aid is only available for domestic students. To apply for aid, a Free Application for Student Aid (FAFSA) must be submitted separately. More information is available through the UCSB Graduate Division office, financial support unit. 

Fees Information

Consult the Graduate Division website for more information on Graduate Student Fees and Fee Remission. The UCSB Office of the Registrar lists a summary of quarterly fees and expenses.  Citizens and U.S. permanent residents are eligible for California residency after one year and are expected to take the necessary steps to become state residents for tuition purposes. Information on requirements and procedures for establishing legal California residency can be found here.

Cost of Housing

A range of housing options are available to UCSB students: university owned single-student and family apartments, off-campus privately owned apartments, duplexes, rooms and houses. However, many graduate students live in shared housing arrangements (room in a house or apartment). University owned family student apartments are available for married students. See the UCSB Housing and Residential Services webpage for further information on both university owned and community housing. Early application is necessary for University owned housing.